DOWNLOAD1. EU Transport and Infrastructure Priorities2. Passenger car registrations forecast for 20153. Passenger car registrations December 20144. European Parliament splinters over Commission work programme5. Recommendations for future calls of Horizon 20206. Consultation report on investment protection in EU-US trade talks7. Week aheadClick to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
TORONTO – Two Toronto police officers who were recorded mocking a 29-year-old woman with Down syndrome should lose their jobs over their comments, the woman’s mother said Tuesday as the pair faced a disciplinary hearing.Const. Sasa Sljivo and Const. Matthew Saris made a brief appearance at a police tribunal before their case was adjourned to Sept. 19, though they did not say how they were pleading, nor were the Police Services Act charges against them read out.Sljivo is charged with misconduct related to the use of profane, abusive or insulting language, while Saris is charged with misconduct related to the failure to report Sljivo’s comments, which contravened the Ontario Human Rights Code, police documents show.The officers had previously issued a written apology, calling the Nov. 5, 2016 incident a “lapse in judgment.”But Pamela Munoz, whose daughter Francie was the subject of the comments, said that’s not enough. She said the officers should at least apologize in person, though she believes a harsher penalty is warranted.“In our heart, a great outcome would have been for them to leave the Toronto Police Service, because it’s shameful for our police officers to feel that way,” she said after the hearing.“At my work, if I made a comment like that, I would be out that same day.”Munoz said they had hoped the matter would be resolved in a day and are disappointed that the hearing was adjourned to next month. She said the family is also filing a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.The family’s lawyer, Faisal Bhabha, said the comments were made inside a police cruiser after the officers pulled over his clients. He said the comments were captured by the vehicle’s dashboard camera.The family only heard the comments because they decided to fight a ticket that was issued at the time and requested the evidence against them, he said.Bhabha said one of the officers is heard referring to Francie as a “half-person” and mocks her appearance. Some snickering and laughter can also be heard, he said.The case is less about what happens to these individual officers and more about “what the service is doing and what the police chief is doing to root out these sorts of attitudes,” Bhabha said after the hearing.“They’re trying to deal with this as a couple of bad apples rather than taking responsibility institutionally and coming to face the public and face, more importantly, the community of people with developmental disabilities to say, ‘yes this happened, yes this was wrong, and yes we’re going to do something about it,’” he said.
The AAF is suspending football operations immediately Posted: April 2, 2019 KUSI Sports, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Despite having only two regular season games remaining, the San Diego Fleet and the other seven teams in the Alliance of American Football apparently suspended all operations Tuesday, according to multiple reports.Pro Football Talk reported rumblings of the league’s demise Monday night, followed by the Action Network’s Darren Rovell. KUSI Sports AAF had a call with NFLPA reps yesterday that showed signs of life, so some executives found it strange that Dundon wanted to stop funding it so soon https://t.co/UTvHbKsAZ5— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 2, 2019 Updated: 12:40 PM Sources: The AAF will suspend all football operations today. New owner Tom Dundon will lose approximately $70 million on his investment. Dundon makes decision against wishes of league co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 2, 2019Tom Dundon, the league’s majority owner and the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes hockey team, raised the specter of closing the league in an interview last week with USA Tuesday.Representatives of the San Diego Fleet did not immediately respond to a request for comment.The San Diego squad was scheduled to play the Orlando Apollos on Saturday before closing the regular season at home April 14 against the Arizona Hotshots. At 3-5, the Fleet needed to win out to have a chance at making the playoffs as one of the top two teams in the league’s Western Conference.The fledgling league was only eight weeks into its first season, but faced immediate and future questions of funding and where each team’s players would come from. AAF co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian intended to run the league independently for three years, with each season coming as a reprieve for football-starved fans during the NFL offseason. Ebersol and Polian planned to eventually form a partnership with the NFL as a developmental league.According to Rovell and others, Dundon, who purchased a majority stake in the league in February, wanted to form that partnership this season and pressured the NFL Players Association to share players on NFL practice squads. Dundon argued the league could not survive without NFL support.The NFLPA balked at the rushed relationship and the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement made some of his demands impossible. Dundon apparently chose to suspend the league rather than continue committing money to it. Pro Football Talk reported Monday night that the league required $20 million to make it through the April 27 championship game.The Fleet played its games at SDCCU Stadium, with estimated turnouts growing to nearly 20,000 by season’s end. The Fleet also led the league in merchandise sales. April 2, 2019 Prevailing thought that AAF owner Tom Dundon shut down the league to strip it of its assets, mainly the tech piece, is interesting, but sources say it would likely be illegal https://t.co/UTvHbKsAZ5— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 2, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News, Sports FacebookTwitter
zoom Port of Rotterdam was proclaimed ‘Port of the Year’ during the annual ‘Containerisation International Awards’ in London. The expert jury praised the port for its substantial investment programme in Europe’s leading logistics hub and industrial complex. The jury also compliments the port with its attention to sustainability with their modal shift objectives and groundbreaking initiatives like InlandLinks and NextLogic that contribute to it.Emile Hoogsteden, director of Containers, Breakbulk and Logistics at the Port of Rotterdam Authority: “Winning this award is a tremendous achievement and recognition of our efforts. As the port of Rotterdam, we are constantly working on new investments and innovations. We don’t do this alone, but in partnership with as many market parties as possible. This is the only way we can continue to improve our port and pursue our ambition to be the most efficient, safe and sustainable port in the world. A good example of this is obviously the development of Maasvlakte 2. This is a project with which we are investing in the future and not only responding to the increasing volume size of containerships, but also taking steps towards optimising the logistical supply chain. At the same time, we enable our clients to achieve economies of scale. That’s the aim of joint ventures like P3, which will also boost our total throughput in the short and long term. Rotterdam leads today, by planning for tomorrow.”Increasing volumeAccording to the World Economic Forum, Rotterdam had the best port infrastructure in the world in both 2012 and 2013. During the period 2008-2015, businesses will make joint investments totalling over €11 billion in the port of Rotterdam, €1.2 billion of which is in container terminals. With this Rotterdam is responding to the increasing number of large 13,000 – 18,000 TEU vessels, already reflected in P3’s decision to send their largest ships to Rotterdam. Volume in the port is expected to further increase once the container terminals on Maasvlakte 2 become operational. Ben Vree, European CEO at APM Terminals: “Although the frequency of calls made by container vessels to Rotterdam may decline in the coming year, the volume will continue to increase. Combined with the state-of-the-art infrastructure and the improved efficiency in ship and cargo handling, Rotterdam’s future looks very bright. So I think the port of Rotterdam deserved to win.”About the Containerisation International AwardThe Containerisation International Awards is an initiative of publisher Containerisation International. Every year, prizes are awarded to businesses and private individuals which made a unique contribution to container liner shipping and the logistics sector in the previous year by being innovative, proactive and/or pioneering. The nominees for the ‘Port of the Year’ award were DP World’s Jebel Ali Port, the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA), the Port of Long Beach and the Port of Rotterdam.Port of Rotterdam, October 25, 2013