TORONTO – Two Toronto police officers who were recorded mocking a 29-year-old woman with Down syndrome should lose their jobs over their comments, the woman’s mother said Tuesday as the pair faced a disciplinary hearing.Const. Sasa Sljivo and Const. Matthew Saris made a brief appearance at a police tribunal before their case was adjourned to Sept. 19, though they did not say how they were pleading, nor were the Police Services Act charges against them read out.Sljivo is charged with misconduct related to the use of profane, abusive or insulting language, while Saris is charged with misconduct related to the failure to report Sljivo’s comments, which contravened the Ontario Human Rights Code, police documents show.The officers had previously issued a written apology, calling the Nov. 5, 2016 incident a “lapse in judgment.”But Pamela Munoz, whose daughter Francie was the subject of the comments, said that’s not enough. She said the officers should at least apologize in person, though she believes a harsher penalty is warranted.“In our heart, a great outcome would have been for them to leave the Toronto Police Service, because it’s shameful for our police officers to feel that way,” she said after the hearing.“At my work, if I made a comment like that, I would be out that same day.”Munoz said they had hoped the matter would be resolved in a day and are disappointed that the hearing was adjourned to next month. She said the family is also filing a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.The family’s lawyer, Faisal Bhabha, said the comments were made inside a police cruiser after the officers pulled over his clients. He said the comments were captured by the vehicle’s dashboard camera.The family only heard the comments because they decided to fight a ticket that was issued at the time and requested the evidence against them, he said.Bhabha said one of the officers is heard referring to Francie as a “half-person” and mocks her appearance. Some snickering and laughter can also be heard, he said.The case is less about what happens to these individual officers and more about “what the service is doing and what the police chief is doing to root out these sorts of attitudes,” Bhabha said after the hearing.“They’re trying to deal with this as a couple of bad apples rather than taking responsibility institutionally and coming to face the public and face, more importantly, the community of people with developmental disabilities to say, ‘yes this happened, yes this was wrong, and yes we’re going to do something about it,’” he said.
0Shares0000MANGOMO,Equatorial Guinea – Africa Cup of Nations title favourites Algeria got off to a winning start in Group C Monday with a come-from-behind 3-1 triumph over South Africa in Mongomo. It was an impressive fightback by the Desert Foxes, who went top of the table on goal difference in the group of death after Senegal defeated Ghana 2-1 earlier.Goals from Faouzi Ghoulam and Islam Slimani won a lively match for the top-ranked African team after a Thulani Hlatshwayo own-goal wiped out the lead Thuso Phala gave South Africa.Tokelo Rantie wasted a great chance to double the advantage for Bafana Bafana (The Boys) almost immediately by firing a penalty over off the crossbar.Algeria started with 11 of the squad that reached the second round of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and forced eventual champions Germany into extra time before bowing out.South Africa had to do without suspended defensive colossus Erick Mathoho with Rivaldo Coetzee and Hlatshwayo manning the central positions.The Desert Foxes were more impressive in the early exchanges, retaining possession and pushing forward without seriously troubling goalkeper Darren Keet.But when full-back Ghoulam was presented with a long-range free-kick opportunity, he fired the ball straight at the South African shot-stopper.Striker Rantie from English second-tier league leaders Bournemouth was proving menacing at the other end and twice threatened the Algerians with his pace.Captain Dean Furman came agonisingly close to ending the stalemate midway through the opening half by unleashing an explosive shot from outside the box.Goalkeeper Rais Mbolhi got the slightest of touches to the rising, swerving shot and it proved crucial as the ball cannoned back into play off the crossbar.Mbolhi twice rescued the Foxes as half-time approached, dispossessing Sibusiso Vilakazi and then blocking an Andile Jali shot with his leg.A Rantie back-heel set up Phala to break the deadlock on 51 minutes with a close-range shot wide of Mbolhi.Then a Rantie spot-kick flew over off the crossbar after Aissa Mandi fouled Vilakazi.Back came Algeria and Slimani was denied by Keet and then by the post.However, the North Africans scored twice within six minutes midway through the second half to turn the tide.Hlatshwayo headed a cross into his own net and a fierce Ghoulam shot flew past Keet.An Algerian victory was wrapped up seven minutes from time as Keet allowed a Slimani shot to slip under his body and into the net.Earlier Moussa Sow came off the bench to score three minutes into stoppage-time and earn Senegal a deserved 2-1 victory over Ghana.The Black Stars failed to clear a long free-kick from Senegal goalkeeper and captain Bruno Coundoul and slick passing set up Sow for fire home from close range.Andre Ayew put Ghana ahead on 14 minutes from the penalty spot and Mame Diouf levelled just before the hour mark.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Sunshine Coast receives thumbs up from Better Homes and GardensSunshine Coast receives thumbs up from Better Homes and GardensQueensland’s Sunshine Coast has been given the tick of approval for fresh and local produce by one of Australia’s best-loved TV chefs and food authors, ‘Fast’ Ed Halmagyi.With more than 20 years’ experience cooking in some of the world’s best restaurants, both in Australia and overseas; the presenter of Channel 7 program Better Homes and Gardens visited the region to film a series of food-themed episodes last month.Coordinated and supported by Visit Sunshine Coast (VSC) and Sunshine Coast Council, the crew filmed local vistas and met with home-grown producers to feature a selection of ingredients to cook up a unique recipe.Better Homes and Gardens presenter Ed Halmagyi said, “The most remarkable thing about the Sunshine Coast as a food destination is it’s unique combination of variety and world-beating quality. From wild flavours, to artisan ingredients, to some breathtaking restaurant experiences, it’s a journey every gourmet needs to take.”VSC’s CEO, Simon Latchford said “What a fantastic opportunity to showcase the Sunshine Coast during prime time on a high rating national program. This not only puts the spotlight on our magnificent region but shows viewers we have incredible produce and there is more to the Sunshine Coast, than just our spectacular beaches.“The region’s grower’s, produce, dining options and events such The Curated Plate are an integral part of how we position the Sunshine Coast. We are well placed to capitalise on growing demand for local culinary experiences, as part of the experience for our visitors,” added Mr Latchford.Owner of Maleny Cheese, Sara Bucher said they were delighted to be considered for the program.“Our family has worked in local producing for 15 years and we were thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Ed and the Better Homes and Gardens team to share our knowledge of the region and our industry. The timing works well with Maleny Cheese reopening this week.”“The Sunshine Coast is renowned for its premium quality niche food and beverage production in an outstanding, clean natural environment,” Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson said.“With a wide range of award winning, environmentally and socially conscious producers, I’m really excited to see them showcased on Better Homes and Gardens to a national audience.”Watched by around 1 million viewers each week, the Better Homes and Gardens episodes that will feature the Sunshine Coast will be aired on Friday 5th and Friday 12th July at 7pm.This initiative aims to tell the Sunshine food story in the lead up to The Curated Plate, a new four-day destination food festival in the Sunshine Coast from 8-11 August. Source = Visit Sunshine Coast
“They started out watching me bust my ass, and I became part of their lives,” Knievel said. “People wanted to associate with a winner, not a loser. They wanted to associate with someone who kept trying to be a winner.” For the tall, thin daredevil, the limelight was always comfortable, the gab glib. To Knievel, there always were mountains to climb, feats to conquer. “No king or prince has lived a better life,” he said in a May 2006 interview with The Associated Press. “You’re looking at a guy who’s really done it all. And there are things I wish I had done better, not only for me but for the ones I loved.” He had a knack for outrageous yarns: “Made $60million, spent 61. …Lost $250,000 at blackjack once. … Had $3million in the bank, though.” He began his daredevil career in 1965, when he formed a troupe called Evel Knievel’s Motorcycle Daredevils, a touring show in which he performed stunts such as riding through fire walls, jumping over live rattlesnakes and mountain lions, and being towed at 200mph behind race cars. In 1966 he began touring alone, barnstorming the West and doing everything from driving the trucks, erecting the ramps and promoting the shows. In the beginning he charged $500 for a jump over two cars parked between ramps. He steadily increased the length of the jumps until, on New Year’s Day 1968, he was nearly killed when he jumped 151 feet across the fountains in front of Caesar’s Palace. He cleared the fountains but the crash landing put him in the hospital in a coma for a month. His son, Robbie, successfully completed the same jump in April 1989.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CLEARWATER, Fla. – Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho’s Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69. Knievel’s death was confirmed by his granddaughter, Krysten Knievel. He had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that scarred his lungs. Knievel had undergone a liver transplant in 1999 after nearly dying of hepatitis C, likely contracted through a blood transfusion after one of his bone-shattering spills. Longtime friend and promoter Billy Rundel said Knievel had trouble breathing at his Clearwater condominium and died before an ambulance could get him to a hospital. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat Kings“It’s been coming for years, but you just don’t expect it. Superman just doesn’t die, right?” Rundel said. Immortalized in Washington’s Smithsonian Institution as “America’s Legendary Daredevil,” Knievel was best known for a failed 1974 attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon on a rocket-powered cycle and a spectacular crash at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas. He suffered nearly 40 broken bones before he retired in 1980. Though Knievel dropped off the pop culture radar in the ’80s, the image of the high-flying motorcyclist clad in patriotic, star-studded colors was never erased from public consciousness. He always had fans and enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in recent years. His death came just two days after it was announced that he and rapper Kanye West had settled a federal lawsuit over the use of Knievel’s trademarked image in a popular West music video. Knievel made a good living selling his autographs and endorsing products. Thousands came to Butte, Mont., every year as his legend was celebrated during the “Evel Knievel Days” festival, which Rundel organizes.