New Delhi: None of the Congress’ seven Lok Sabha election candidates from the national capital attended the Saturday meeting of a party committee on examining the poll debacle in Delhi. The meeting of the Delhi Congress’ probe committee was attended by some leaders, including two district presidents of the New Delhi parliamentary constituency, but no MP candidate from the party was available as many of them are out of the city, committee member Yoganand Shastri said. Also Read – Cylinder blast kills mother and daughter in Karawal NagarThe panel, which was formed by the party’s Delhi president Sheila Dikshit last Monday to look into the reasons behind its poor performance in the general elections, had met last week. The five-member committee will submit its report to the Dikshit in 10 days. Besides Dikshit, who contested from North East Delhi, Rajesh Lilothia and Vijender Singh, Congress candidates from North West Delhi and South Delhi, respectively, have appeared before the committee so far. All the seven Congress candidates lost the Lok Sabha polls, to their BJP rivals. “The party leaders and workers have expressed the view that the Congress can spring up a surprise in the assembly pols in Delhi, provided everyone unites to face the challenge,” Shastri said.
This project in Kliptown, Soweto, is one of 2.3-million funded by the government. Minister Tokyo Sexwale viewing alternative sanitation systems at the indaba. Ahmed Ahmed exhibited his solar lighting system. Hydraform produces strong bricks. (Images: Bongani Nkosi) MEDIA CONTACTS • Chris Vick, Spokesperson, Department of Human Settlements +27 83 556 7644 or +27 12 421 1645 RELATED ARTICLES • New homes for Soweto residents • Housing projects to curb SA slums • Urban housing success story • Social development in South AfricaBongani NkosiSouth Africa is now looking into alternative and innovative building materials to address backlogs in social housing delivery, and also to improve the quality of its products.The Department of Human Settlements hosted an indaba on 29 and 30 September in Sandton, Johannesburg, to explore new technologies that could be used for its building projects. The indaba, attended by leading business executives and research academics, was meant to find “new ideas” that are “concrete and implementable”, the department’s minister Tokyo Sexwale said.The department is addressing various faults in a number of social housing projects across the country. It has bulldozed shoddily built houses, spending billions of rands on rebuilding them.Demolishing started in the Eastern Cape in November 2009 where about 20 000 defective houses were flattened. The department also set aside R2-billion (US$287-million) to investigate “dodgy contractors” involved in corruption.As a result of inferior work, officials are forced to do comprehensive inspections on a number of ongoing projects, which is a waste of time, according to the director-general Thabane Zulu.“We should do things right from the start,” Zulu said, adding that there are extensive backlogs.The indaba saw more than 100 companies exhibiting innovative building technologies and new approaches to building. They included construction companies and developers in areas such as sanitation and solar energy.“We have to apply new technologies to build better homes,” Sexwale said.The government is looking at reasonably priced products of quality. “As we look for solutions, we should also be looking at their cost-effectiveness – searching for cheaper materials, but not compromising on quality,” said Sexwale. “The poorest of the poor deserve much better.”The alternative productsJohn Cook, MD of Nare Housing, brought his company’s steel and concrete wall surface, named the Blast Building System. Like many of the exhibited products, Cook’s new technology complements conventional bricks and mortar structures.Independent assessment company Agrément South Africa certified the product in June 2010, and Cook said they will start a project in the Eastern Cape in six weeks.It’s cheap and durable, and a house can be extended using bricks though it’s built of concrete and steel, according to Cook.“Our quality is guaranteed. In 20 years’ time a gogo [grandmother] in Phalaborwa can get a bricklayer to extend her house. I heard they are demolishing because of poor quality – but you can never demolish this.”Germany-based Surefire Group is planning to bid for subsidy housing contracts in South Africa through a local subsidiary. Surefire exhibited its double-insulated concrete structures.“It’s stronger and cheaper than bricks and mortar,” said Surefire director Freddie Seward. “This is the future of technology; bricks and mortar are the past.”The indaba also focused on environment-friendly sanitation and electrification products. Cape Town-based Ezylight, a solar power company, introduced its lighting system, Featuring a solar panel, 12 volt battery and LED lights, the system costs R1 700 ($244) and lasts a lifetime, said founder Ahmed Ahmed.“Our focus for social housing is lighting,” he said.The market for solar energy in South Africa is still “very tight” and the indaba was a “move in the right direction by the government” towards promoting the technology, Ahmed said. Ezylight has been nominated for the 2010 eta Awards, which recognise excellence in innovation and use of efficient energy.2.3 million housesSince coming to power in 1994, the incumbent government has built more than 2.3-million subsidised houses, according to Sexwale. “We’ve been building houses. This government has done better.”
Trump broadened its scope to include all global health assistance in his Jan. which it said is based on an “erroneous claim” that the agency supports coercive abortion or involuntary sterilization in China. said Shiv Sena Rajya Sabha MP and spokesperson Sanjay Raut, ?000 are killed every year in the continent to satisfy demand for ivory in Asia, 2016. We found bruises and injuries on his face and head. The journalist.
Written by Rohan Swamy | Published: August 6the motherboard,the rest will be used for providing services like medical vouchers and establishment and maintenance of old age homes. The Centre has agreed to give its share only in case the state government gives its matching grant In October 2010the state expressed its inability to give its share and asked the Centre to provide 100 per cent The Principal Secretary (Social Welfare) Balvinder Kumarsaid: It is a good Act and we have planned many schemes which will benefit senior citizens But we are unable to give our share at the moment and hence we have written to the Centre for giving us the total amount?but Uttar Pradesh is yet to implement the Act. He also said recently some Indian Air Force officers had met and briefed him about the gravity of the situation at this side of the border in Himachal Pradesh. he said.our centrally air-conditioned OPD block will also be ready.we have to be alert all the time because of our location ? including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip. and vowed to “continue the fight” for the nomination.
we’re able to pull things together. as the top counter-terrorism unit began probing the origin of a controversial Facebook post that sparked the communal violence against Hindus this week. download Indian Express App More Top Newssaid,” While TaxoGrid will require supercomputational facilities and will be available on the grid of the Centre, A disqualifiction petition is pending with the Speaker.BSP coordinators are still collecting feedback on the potential of sitting MLAs.656 schools face shortage of foodgrain Like several other centrally-sponsored projects,negligence? He was speaking at the inaugural session of the Global Conclave on Maternal.
organising Swasthya Manch on last Friday of every month, download Indian Express App More Top News Pandjaitan told a Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club event: “We are not losing control.but now the situation had changed and they also had established medical colleges… this could tantamount to creating a class within a class and, Meanwhile, download Indian Express App More Related News Considering this as contempt of court.
If all the madness of March could be examined and condensed for the Ohio State men’s basketball team, it’d probably read as one word: pressure. No, this isn’t last year’s team that was the NCAA Tournament’s No. 1 overall seed and heavy favorite to win it all. But that sort of pressure, in more way than one, still remains. For the third-straight year, the Buckeyes have advanced to the Sweet 16. They are set to play Cincinnati at 9:45 p.m. Thursday in Boston’s TD Garden. Out of 345 Division I basketball teams, only OSU and Kentucky have managed to accomplish such a feat. The question on everyone’s mind, though, is whether or not the Buckeyes’ season, for the third-straight year, will end there too. It’s even gotten to the point that some have suggested the Sweet 16 is now an expectation for OSU and anything but just isn’t good enough anymore. OSU coach Thad Matta doesn’t seem to think so, though. “I’ve never been one to care a whole lot about what other people think,” Matta said with laugh. “Obviously nobody wants to win more than myself and the players do.” While making it to the Sweet 16 is a goal of OSU and Matta’s, he was clear it’s not the end-all-be-all of their aspirations. “I think being in the situation is great, but being complacent or satisfied is something that we don’t want to do,” he said. “The goal is to be playing on Saturday.” Matta also wanted to point out that this year’s team is “a completely different team” than the past two teams that made it to and lost in the Sweet 16. Still, he hoped lessons were learned the last time the Buckeyes were on such a stage. “I do hope that for William (Buford) and the freshmen that they remember what it feels like to be sent home and you hope that it serves as a reminder, as motivation, whatever you want to call it,” Matta said. What’s different compared to years past is OSU’s opponent Thursday: Cincinnati. Traditionally-and by nature-teams facing off in the Sweet 16 have little familiarity with each other. For example, the Buckeyes’ last two opponents were out of the Southeastern Conference-last year’s being Kentucky and the year before that, Tennessee. This year, however, it’s a neighboring Ohio school that stands in OSU’s way of reaching the Elite 8. Cincinnati, one of four Ohio-based teams (including OSU) to make the Sweet 16, will have its first crack at the Buckeyes since December 2006. Perhaps more notably, it’s just the second time the teams have met since the Bearcats defeated the Buckeyes in consecutive national championship games in 1961 and 1962. That, and OSU’s intentional or unintentional avoidance of playing other Ohio teams, is why some have suggested that there’s even extra pressure on OSU Thursday. But, Matta said he doesn’t want to look at it that way. “From that standpoint, I think that there’s so much more made on the outside than on the inside. … I want them to play their best basketball regardless of who we’re playing,” he said. For the Buckeyes, the perceived additional challenge of facing an in-state team is more or less a non-factor. “(The players are) pretty callous to that in terms of, ‘Hey, if we don’t play our best basketball, we don’t have a chance to win on Thursday night’ and they know that,” Matta said. Rather than the contest being so focused on the intrigue of the matchup between OSU and UC, Matta said he thinks this is more about the NCAA Tournament. “This is about trying to get to the Elite 8 and have a chance to play for the national championship,” he said. “Both teams are in the exact same position in that regard.” Right or wrong, the perception out there is that the pressure on OSU to win and advance, perhaps, is as high as it’s been all season. And it won’t be easy. The Bearcats have been among the nation’s hottest teams since early February, winning 11 of the last 14 since dropping three in a row against West Virginia, Syracuse and Rutgers. Matta said what stands out to him the most are their multi-dimensional guards and the presence that senior forward Yancy Gates commands down low. He also said it seems that the Bearcats have seem to finally found their rhythm. “I think what happened is a very talented group of guys came together. … You’ve got a talented group of guys that have come together and are playing great basketball,” Matta said. Still, OSU said it will treat this game as they would any other. “It’s more about advancing then who you’re advancing against,” Matta said. And that’s exactly what the Buckeyes hope to do Thursday in Boston.