“It’s a loss for his family, a loss for the college, and a loss for the community to have somebody who dedicated so much of his life to helping others,” Garber said. firstname.lastname@example.org, (818) 713-3663160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2 He retired in 1993, came back to coach the team in 1999 for a year, and then was returned again in 2005. Pierce College Athletic Director Bob Lyons recalled Xanthos as tenacious and a stickler for details. “One of the first things he did (when he returned to coaching last year) was he scrubbed the drinking fountain, because it wasn’t as white as he thought it should be,” Lyons said. “He thought that a sign of a good program was that everything is spick-and-span and spotless. Everything had to be just so.” Xanthos was inducted into the U.S. Professional Tennis Hall of Fame in 1999, and into the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Hall of Fame in 1994. He is a U.S. Professional Tennis Association honorary member master professional, and has written numerous books and articles about tennis. He was born in Greece, but immigrated to the United States with his family when he was 2. He grew up in Boyle Heights, and taught himself to play tennis by reading a book. WOODLAND HILLS Services were pending this morning for Paul Xanthos, Pierce College’s legendary tennis coach, who died Monday at his home. He was 85. Xanthos’ son, Paul Xanthos Jr., said his father took a nap Monday afternoon, and apparently died in his sleep. “Paul really was an institution at Pierce and created essentially a dynasty of successful tennis teams,” said Pierce College President Robert Garber. “More importantly, he really helped develop our students who played tennis with him into complete and successful individuals.” Xanthos, of Hidden Hills, was thought to be the oldest working collegiate tennis coach in America. He taught tennis at Pierce for nearly three decades, beginning in 1965, and achieving a record of 550 wins, 94 losses and 23 conference championships.
GATINEAU, Que. – Consumers now have until Sunday to answer an online survey about sales tactics used by Canada’s largest phone, cable and internet service providers, two more days than originally announced by the industry’s regulator.The online survey conducted by Ipsos is part of a months-long process leading to public hearings to be held by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission starting on Oct. 22.It expects to release a summary of its findings from public consultations on Oct. 15.The minister responsible for telecommunications, Navdeep Bains, ordered the CRTC investigation in June after media reports and consumer complaints about how telecom services are sold.In particular, the inquiry wants to address complaints that prices for services may be unpredictable or higher than expected and sales messages may result in stress, confusion and frustration.The country’s large telecom providers, other organizations and individuals had until Aug. 31 to file their comments to the CRTC in a more formal process. Most of the 1,407 responses posted by the regulator were from individuals.
2013 Grammy Nominees and past Grammy Winners have teamed up with Tickets-for-Charity so fans can get great seats while helping raise money for great causes!Green Day, Katy Perry, The Black Keys, Carrie Underwood, Matchbox Twenty, Taylor Swift, Widespread Panic, Trace Adkins, Coldplay, Brad Paisley, Linkin Park, James Taylor, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Toby Keith, Blake Shelton, Zac Brown Band and more performing artist superstars have teamed up with Tickets-for-Charity.com to raise money for more than 100 worthy charities.Any fan can shop at Tickets-for-Charity.com and buy premium tickets — only email sign-up required to become a Fanlanthropist: The ticket prices are the same or less than sold elsewhere — but seats are always in the first several rows so fans can finally get to see their favorite performing artists and bands up-close! Tickets-for-Charity also offers exclusive tickets for special VIP events to meet the artists, such as the current “VIP Eat & Greets” now on sale.“Fans are able to buy some of the best seats in the house to concerts nationwide, pay the same or less than sold elsewhere, with a portion of the price going to charity — great seats to help great causes where everyone becomes a Fanlanthropist,” said Jay Whitehead, Tickets-for-Charity CEO.Concert ticket purchases at Tickets-for-Charity.com benefit charities aligned with each artist plus a charity that customers can choose from list of 100+ partners. Through a proprietary technology platform, Tickets-for-Charity.com produces a clear receipt to show customers exactly how much money they spent on their tickets and how much they can claim as a donation for tax purposes.
APTN National NewsOttawa needs to invest nearly $5 billion in First Nations water and sewage systems over the next 10 years, according to two year-long study released by Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan Thursday.The government commissioned study, by firm Neegan Burnside, found that the federal government needed to immediately invest about $1.2 billion to raise reserve-based water and sewage systems to standards set by Aboriginal Affairs.The study found 1,800 reserve homes have no water service and 1,777 homes have no sewage service at all.Of those with water service, the study found that 39 per cent of 807 reserve systems inspected were classified as posing a “high risk,” meaning they posed a threat to health and safety. These high risk systems serve about 25 per cent of the on-reserve population, the study said.“Once systems are classified under this category, regions and First Nations must take immediate corrective action to minimize or eliminate deficiencies,” the study said.The study also found that of the 532 sewage systems inspected, 14 per cent were found to be seriously deficient.The study concluded that the federal government needed to spend a total of $4.7 billion over the next decade to keep water and waste-water systems up to standard and meet the needs of growing First Nations population.The dollar figures include costs for construction, training, studies and developing emergency plans.A total of 571 First Nations were included in the study which began in September 2009.Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan said the Conservative government would be introducing legislation creating water and sewage regulations for First Nations reserves.“In the weeks ahead, officials from my department will be meeting with First Nation leaders and other stakeholders,” Duncan told reporters in Saskatoon. “(To go) over the results of the (study), finding ways to move forward together on both responding to the assessment and moving forward with legislation.”Assembly of First Nations national Chief Shawn Atleo called the report’s findings “shocking” and said it was time for Ottawa to deal with the dire water situation facing First Nations.“(The report) reveals the quality of drinking water in First Nation communities is even worse than anticipated,” said Atleo, in a statement. “More than half the water systems our people are using are risky systems.”Duncan released the report in Saskatoon as the AFN was wrapping up its annual general assembly in Moncton.
APTN National NewsThere is a huge crack in the Arctic sea ice from Nunavut to Alaska.The break in the ice is attributed to higher than average temperatures and sea ice movement because of storms.This year is the seventh lowest amount of sea ice seen in the Arctic since they’ve been tracking it with satellite images.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp JAGS remembered again, 35-years after his tragic death Related Items:earthquake victims, greenwhich town, honor Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Jan. 8 (JIS): The $15 million memorial park currently being constructed at the site of the 1907 earthquake monument, in Greenwich Town, is expected to be a tourist attraction when completed.This is the vision of the Government’s multi-agency team currently working on the project, which is intended to attract Jamaicans locally and in the Diaspora, who may have had relatives who died in the earthquake.As with the monument, the park is in honour of the 500 persons who perished in the 1907 earthquake. The massive earthquake, and the fire it caused, destroyed sections of downtown Kingston.Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller, who visited the site today (January 8), said she is pleased with the work that has been done so far, noting that the park is another fitting tribute to those who lost their lives.“The work is a tribute to the memory of all those who died in the earthquake and were buried here. We feel it is important for us to really beautify the area and to do the work that was necessary on the monument in honour of those who were buried here,” she said.The Prime Minister noted that the Government felt it was important to build the memorial park and bring attention to the monument, which has been restored, as many would not have known where the structure is located.“I believe it is important for Jamaicans and (those) overseas to know that they could have members of their family buried right here, and if they wish, to come and to pay tribute to their fallen ones that were buried here,” she said. This initial phase of the project, which is jointly funded by the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) and the Culture, Health, Arts, Sports and Education (CHASE) Fund, is expected to be ready in time for the anniversary of the earthquake on January 14, when an official opening ceremony will be held.Chief Executive Officer of the CHASE Fund, Billy Heaven, told JIS News that he is satisfied with what has been achieved at the site, in terms of the renovation of the monument and the establishment of a park, “because it is not just a monument that we are rehabilitating, we are establishing a park, and that is important because people can come here…(and honour their loved ones).Speaking to other plans for the park, Mr. Heaven said a list of names of some of the persons who died in the earthquake is to be placed on the wall of the park.There are also plans to install benches, public facilities, as well as establish shops where memorabilia could be sold.It is also intended that the park will be further extended to include all five acres of the property.The other agencies involved in the project are the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA), Jamaica Social Investment Fund (JSIF), Tourism Product Development Company (TPDCo), Sports Development Foundation (SDF) and the Jamaica National Heritage Trust (JNHT). Recommended for you
Police have made their images public; this incident actually happened days ago on Sunday June 19. The men, Harwinder Singh and Kulwinder Chopra came into the TCI via Nassau, Bahamas on ICA when somehow they got away from the agent. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTwo Indians are on the loose in Provo after escaping the ticket agent of InterCaribbean Airways who was leading them to board a flight through to the Dominican Republic. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:
The AAF is suspending football operations immediately Posted: April 2, 2019 KUSI Sports, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Despite having only two regular season games remaining, the San Diego Fleet and the other seven teams in the Alliance of American Football apparently suspended all operations Tuesday, according to multiple reports.Pro Football Talk reported rumblings of the league’s demise Monday night, followed by the Action Network’s Darren Rovell. KUSI Sports AAF had a call with NFLPA reps yesterday that showed signs of life, so some executives found it strange that Dundon wanted to stop funding it so soon https://t.co/UTvHbKsAZ5— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 2, 2019 Updated: 12:40 PM Sources: The AAF will suspend all football operations today. New owner Tom Dundon will lose approximately $70 million on his investment. Dundon makes decision against wishes of league co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian.— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 2, 2019Tom Dundon, the league’s majority owner and the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes hockey team, raised the specter of closing the league in an interview last week with USA Tuesday.Representatives of the San Diego Fleet did not immediately respond to a request for comment.The San Diego squad was scheduled to play the Orlando Apollos on Saturday before closing the regular season at home April 14 against the Arizona Hotshots. At 3-5, the Fleet needed to win out to have a chance at making the playoffs as one of the top two teams in the league’s Western Conference.The fledgling league was only eight weeks into its first season, but faced immediate and future questions of funding and where each team’s players would come from. AAF co-founders Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian intended to run the league independently for three years, with each season coming as a reprieve for football-starved fans during the NFL offseason. Ebersol and Polian planned to eventually form a partnership with the NFL as a developmental league.According to Rovell and others, Dundon, who purchased a majority stake in the league in February, wanted to form that partnership this season and pressured the NFL Players Association to share players on NFL practice squads. Dundon argued the league could not survive without NFL support.The NFLPA balked at the rushed relationship and the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement made some of his demands impossible. Dundon apparently chose to suspend the league rather than continue committing money to it. Pro Football Talk reported Monday night that the league required $20 million to make it through the April 27 championship game.The Fleet played its games at SDCCU Stadium, with estimated turnouts growing to nearly 20,000 by season’s end. The Fleet also led the league in merchandise sales. April 2, 2019 Prevailing thought that AAF owner Tom Dundon shut down the league to strip it of its assets, mainly the tech piece, is interesting, but sources say it would likely be illegal https://t.co/UTvHbKsAZ5— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) April 2, 2019 Categories: Local San Diego News, Sports FacebookTwitter
National Geographic Magazine topped 100,000 paid digital subscribers this past weekend and the magazine’s special series on world population, which was collected into one app called “7 Billion”, was the number one free app for iPad in iTunes. The 7 Billion app was promoted in Apple’s new and noteworthy list and generated more than 140,000 downloads since it debuted on October 27. The special app featured a single sponsor in Dupont, which also sponsored the year-long series in print and online. National Geographic Magazine reached a subscription deal with Apple this past summer. “A subscription model will allow the brand to start addressing some of the audience usage questions coming from internally and from advertisers,” National Geographic president of publishing Declan Moore told FOLIO: at the time. “What we’re wrestling with at the moment is getting good, accurate tracking information on where people are spending time with the products. When we have a subscription model, we’ll have volumes of data. Right now we’re dealing with a small data set based on single copy sales, so making inferences is tricky. It’s hard to pin down so many different constituent groups. Some just like content they see in the magazine, others like dynamic illustrations and video.”
After uncertainty over whether Budget 2017 would go ahead due former union minister E Ahamed’s death, it was decided that it would go ahead as scheduled on Wednesday. This is the first time the rail budget has been a part of the Union budget.Also read: Live Union Budget 2017: Here is FM Arun Jailtley’s speech, top highlightsCapital and developmental expenditure for FY2018 for Indian Railways increased to Rs 1,31,000 crore from Rs 1,21,000 crore in FY2017.The rail budget focussed on rail safety and improving infrastructure. Apart from allocating a massive corpus for rail safety the railways is also looking to eliminate unmanned broad guage to increase safety. The Finance Minister announced some perks for those who do digital bookings through IRCTC. The government is also going big on changing to clean energy sources. The Indian Railways will also be looking to increase its network this year. The railways, which already employees one third of Union government employees, is working to increase job creation with a new metro rail policy. It is also looking to create more differently-abled friendly stations. “Unified budget provides an opportunity for integrated transport solutions by synergising rail, road & waterways transportation investments,” Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said. “Railways will integrate end to end transport solutions for selected commodities through partnership,” he added. Here are 13 things Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced in his rail budget 1. Rail safety fund with corpus of Rs 100,000 crore will be created over a period of five years. 2. A new metro rail policy will be announced, which will open up new jobs for youth. 3. Atleast 25 stations expected to be awarded during 2017-183. 500 stations to be made differently abled-friendly by providing lifts and escalators. 6. Unmanned broad gauge to be eliminated by 2020. 7. As much as 3,500 km railway lines to be commissioned in 2017. 8. Dedicated trains for pilgrims will be launched. 9. As many as 7,000 railway stations to be solar powered. Already 300 stations have been solar powered. 10. All coaches of the Indian Railways will have bio-toilets by 2019. 11. Cashless transaction has gone up from 58 percent to 68 percent. 12. Service charge for those booking through IRCTC to be removed. 13. IRCTC, IRCON to be listed this year.