Dear Editor,The Regional Democratic Council (RDC) of Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) is deeply concerned about the alleged tampering of the budget proposal for 2018.An examination of the proposed budget by the Regional Chairman, Regional Vice Chairman, Councillors and other key stakeholders revealed a lack of key priorities identified and recommended at a key stakeholders consultation held in August 2017.Regional Democratic Council (RDC) Councillors – from both Government and the Opposition – have signed and dispatched a letter to the Communities Minister expressing their dissatisfaction, and called for an investigation.The RDC strongly rejects those actions of excluding key decisions made at the consultation; a consultation that engaged stakeholders to participate and offer priorities to positively impact and transform the lives of residents. Such actions are undemocratic and can reduce public confidence.The Regional Chairman openly rejects the inclusion of million for the purchase of two enclosed vehicles. One such vehicle was identified for the Regional Chairman himself; a decision he does not support since there are numerous other priorities that are needed in a region where the economy is struggling.The RDC will continue to make all dedicated efforts to foster transparency and accountability, in the best interest of its people.Sincerely,Devanand RamdattRegional ChairmanRegion Two
As Liberia passed more than one month having been declared free of Ebola transmission by the World Health Organization (WHO), journalist Gboko J. Stewart was confident that the Canadian Embassy in Accra, Ghana would finally see reason to grant him a visa to be able to enroll at Quest University this September. His first attempt at a Canadian visa was made earlier this year when he contacted the embassy to inquire as to whether he could go to Accra to submit his visa application. It was then that he was initially informed that due to the Ebola outbreak, Canada had a freeze on visa applications from all Ebola-affected countries, including Liberia. By then, Liberia had been recording a steady decline in the number of new Ebola infections, well on its way to becoming the first member of the 3 affected Mano River Union countries to be declared Ebola-free by the WHO. The May 9 declaration by WHO that Liberia was finally Ebola-free prompted the Canadian government to lift the restriction on visa applicants from Liberia, only days later. However, No sooner was the restriction lifted that Stewart’s application was denied on June 25. Stewart says he stayed in Accra for about a month during the visa application process. “I’m just so disappointed they have all these hurdles to keep someone at bay so their dreams can’t be pursued,” Stewart told the Squamish Chief, a Canadian newspaper, in an interview from his home in Liberia. “I’m not giving up, but there’s nothing more I can do – maybe some things are just not meant to be.”According to Stewart, the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) claimed he was a risk of not returning to his home country. “I’ve been to Europe and back on time with no intention on staying there,” he said. “The same would have applied to Canada.” Stewart said he “found it incredulous that they arrived at that decision, including travel history, because I was never granted an interview.”Gboko John Stewart was accepted to enroll at Quest in the fall semester of 2014, with a scholarship to study liberal arts and science. The scholarship is renewable every year upon reapplication and good grades. Quest has stood with Stewart throughout his ordeal with a promise to keep his acceptance (and scholarship) at the university open, should the Canadian government finally decide grant him the visa. “Gboko displayed tremendous perseverance throughout the visa ban on Ebola-affected countries, but the study permit application process is ultimately a matter between the applicant and Citizenship and Immigration Canada in which universities cannot intervene,” said Quest University’s Bradley Klees, senior admissions counselor, who added that Stewart’s acceptance at the university will be honored if the visa is eventually granted. “It is up to the applicant to satisfy the visa officer that they are coming to Canada on a temporary basis and that they are admissible. Visa applications are considered on a case-by-case basis on the specific facts presented by the applicant in each case,” read the statement from Nancy Caron, CIC spokesperson, who said the total number of Liberians granted visas since May is not available to the public.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Dear Editor,Something has to be seriously wrong with the labour union that represents the ‘fixed’ or permanent employees of the Mayor and Councillors of the City of Georgetown, and that union to which I refer is the Guyana Local Government Officers Union.Quite recently, we saw the other union, the Guyana Labour Union, which represents the additional category of municipal employees better known as ‘unfixed’ workers, undertaking a demarche on City Hall, and under the astute leadership of Mr Carvil Duncan, they let the council’s administrators know exactly how they felt about the atrocities being committed against their members who are workers.But for some strange reason, the Guyana Local Government Officers Union seems to have become dumb, deaf, toothless, and completely uncaring to the hardships its membership faces each day.Could you imagine the workers are faced, month after month after month for the past two years, with receiving their salaries late, which causes them to have to pay additional interest on loans acquired, having their electricity and water supply cut off each month due to late payments, having the hire purchase people chase after them for their monthly installments. And not a whimper is heard from this union.The union is aware that its membership is forced to inhumanely slaughter animals at the abattoir; made to work without proper tools, without the required protective gear, and in workspaces and offices that are derelict, unsafe, and are an eyesore, but the union says not a word.Inevitably, the Council will have to downsize its gargantuan staff structure, but what will be interesting to note is who will get the pink slips.Will the Council’s workers ever be properly represented against the atrocities being committed against them by their employers? And will the rights of workers be protected and collectively bargained on behalf of? Let us wait and see.Best regards,Deodarie Putulall
Antonio Conte is on his way to becoming a more successful Chelsea manager than ‘Special One’ Jose Mourinho, claims former striker Tony Cascarino.Former Italy coach Conte has been a revelation at Stamford Bridge this season, and has transformed the team which flopped so spectacularly under Mourinho last season into an unbeatable force.The imperious Blues currently sit six points clear at the top of the Premier League table following a record-equalling run of 13 league wins in a row.REPORT – Chelsea 4-2 Stoke: Willian at the double as Blues continue winning streakSupporters and pundits have hailed Conte’s tactical changes and squad management during his short time in charge, and Cascarino believes the new boss is on the cusp of something ‘very, very special’ at the club.Speaking on the Weekend Sports Breakfast, the former Blues star said: “He’s taken the notch a little bit higher than even Jose did. It feels like that to me.Something very, very special is happening at Chelsea and fans feel so comfortable with their manager.”Listen to the clip in full above!
Hugh speaks with former Crystal Palace and Republic of Ireland striker Clinton Morrison, and he’s got the crowd favourite, Goal or Troll.
A minute later Nick Ross missed a sitter to bring the home team level.A slick move ended with Craig Wighton feeding Hemmings who then squared for Ross, only for the former Inverness midfielder to shoot wide from six yards with just McGovern to beat.Hamilton threatened to increase their lead when Ali Crawford’s corner was met at the far post by Michael Devlin but his header went narrowly wide of the target.The second half was only two minutes old when Hamilton thought they had gone further ahead.Brophy got in behind the Dundee defence and forced a shot under Bain and as he wheeled away to celebrate the hosts returned the ball to the centre spot.But there were claims for offside and assistant referee Graham Chambers intervened.Following a long consultation referee Steven McLean disallowed the effort with Brophy adjudged to have been offside, much to the visitors’ annoyance.Hamilton had another chance to go 2-0 ahead with 65 minutes gone.Gramoz Kurtaj’s inswinging cross was met by Dougie Imrie but, under no pressure from the Dundee defence, he nodded straight at Bain who saved at the expense of a corner.Dundee were not out of it though and with 11 minutes remaining Hemmings went on a solo run before unleashing a 20-yard shot which McGovern tipped over the bar.It was a nervy ending for Hamilton who had to endure five minutes of stoppage time but it was all worthwhile in the end as their safety was secured, even with substitute Greg Docherty missing a chance to double their lead when clean through on goal right at the finish. Hamilton ensured they will not face a Scottish Premiership play-off with a vital 1-0 win over Dundee at Dens Park.Martin Canning’s side secured victory thanks to Carlton Morris’ eighth minute winner which moved them seven points above second-bottom Kilmarnock with two games left.It could have been a bit more relaxed for the Lanarkshire club had Eamonn Brophy’s 47th minute strike counted, but it was knocked off for offside having previously been awarded.However, it was the three points which mattered most and Accies can rest assured they will play their football in the top flight next season. Dundee had been buoyed by their last-gasp 2-1 win over Dundee United which had relegated their city rivals on Monday night.Hamilton began the game four points ahead of second-bottom Kilmarnock as they sought to drag themselves away from the prospect of being involved in the dreaded play-offs come the end of the season and they got off to a dream start after just eight minutes.Dundee defender Kostadin Gadzhalov was caught out by Ziggy Gordon’s pass and Morris ran through and steadied himself before sending a left-foot shot across Scott Bain and into the corner of the net.The hosts had a chance to equalise after 20 minutes when full-back Paul McGinn crossed from the right for Kane Hemmings whose header sailed over Michael McGovern’s bar, despite being well placed to score.
Andy Murray has revealed he is pain-free and could return to action in time for a possible appearance at Wimbledon this summer.The two-time Wimbledon champion has not played since the Australian Open and has since undergone a second hip operation.Murray had previously announced he was going to retire but appeared to go back on that decision ahead of his second surgery.Speaking at the Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday, where he was to fire the starting pistol for the elite men’s race, the US Open and double Olympic champion said: “There’s no pain any more. I’m happy, pain-free and enjoying my life. “I’ve been hitting a few balls from a stationary position. I’m still quite a long way from testing it properly, running around a court.“I just have to see what happens. I don’t feel any pressure that I need to come back but if my body feels good and I’m pain-free then I’ll give it a go.”
Tags:#Google#news#NYT#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Just last week, Google announced offline support for Gmail, and today, Google Calendar is also finally getting a similar upgrade. Google Apps users are the first to get access to this new feature, though we assume that Google will roll this out to all of its users soon. The offline feature was built on top of Google Gears, which is available for Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Sadly, Google Calendar only allows for read-only access while you are offline, which is quite a disappointment. Gmail, on the other hand, features a ‘flaky connection‘ mode which gives you the option to compose new messages offline. Gmail then sends them automatically once you are back on the Internet. Without being able to enter new appointments or tasks into your calendar, or the ability to move appointments around, Google Calendar’s offline feature is not half as useful as it could have been.Earlier this year, we saw some leaked screenshots that showed the ability to edit your calendar in offline mode, but Google apparently did not make this available yet. This is quite a disappointment, because the ‘flaky connection’ mode works very well in Gmail. We can only assume that Google will add a more fully featured offline mode in the near future. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Related Posts frederic lardinois
A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Speaking for a moment about novelty, I do remember clearly getting my first CD-ROM drive in the mid-90s and then shelling out some hard-earned money for Encarta because it was simply the de facto proof of concept for the term multimedia. Hundreds of thousands of articles, indexed and cross-referenced, high-resolution photographs, small videos, and sound files all made the Encarta experience something singularly awesome in a time where most people were still trying to figure out how to allocate all their extended memory to get Windows 3.1 to run on their PC. Encarta brought a legitimacy to that term, multimedia, where a lot of other projects often fell short. And no, you can’t bring up Myst.So, it is with a measure of sadness that we see this chapter of PC history come to a close, and the venerable Encarta book placed on the shelf next to Microsoft Cinemania and BOB. Although the date will come and go without fanfare, it does mark the end of an era. Tags:#Microsoft#news#web Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Microsoft’s years-long-running multimedia CD-based encyclopedia product, Encarta, will be history by the end of the year. According to Ars Technica, Microsoft quietly announced the discontinuation date for Encarta to be October 31, 2009. Although the MSN press release doesn’t go into too much detail on all the reasons why this decision was made, (nothing about Wikipedia for example), they do mention that the way people look for and consume information has changed substantially in the last few years, which seems like a fair assessment.It appears that all Encarta properties will be phased out over the coming year. They will stop selling the retail and student versions by June and the online MSN Explorer content will be removed by the end of October. Customers paying for a subscription to Encarta Premium will receive a pro-rated refund around the middle of the year. Technical support, like with most other Microsoft products, will continue for three years after the official end of life.As we mentioned, although Microsoft doesn’t directly implicate Wikipedia as one of the harbingers of their decision to kill Encarta, we can only assume that it is a big part of that decision. Although Encarta’s content was carefully curated, and of course factually accurate (which is often more than what you can say about Wikipedia), apparently the cost and availability of instant sources of information online has overcome the appeal of this once-novel encyclopedia. phil glockner Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
The Senate voted on October 17 to take up the fiscal year 2018 budget resolution (BR) for debate, which includes reconciliation instructions for tax reform, by a party-line vote of 50 to 47 (TAXDAY, 2017/10/02, C.1). The Senate must pass a budget resolution for GOP lawmakers to have a legislative vehicle for tax reform. A Senate vote on the BR is expected on Friday, October 20, after allowing for 50 hours of debate.Using a BR unlocks the reconciliation process for tax reform, which enables GOP lawmakers in the Senate to pass legislation by a simple majority, rather than 60 votes, if no Democratic support can be garnered. Senate Democrats criticize the BR for implementing budget cuts for the sake of providing tax cuts to the wealthy.Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., a controversial figure in the BR’s prospect for success, voted yes to take up debate on the BR, but has expressed criticism of the measure for not including budget caps, stating it is not currently fiscally conservative. If approved, the Senate and House will likely go to conference to reconcile the differences between the two BRs (TAXDAY, 2017/10/06, C.1).“Specifically, this budget resolution contains a $1.5-trillion reconciliation instruction for tax reform. That is a good number, putting meaningful tax reform within reach,” Senate Finance Committee (SFC) Chairman Orrin G. Hatch, R-Utah, said on the Senate floor on October 17. Hatch stated that the taxwriting SFC is currently crafting tax reform legislation pursuant to the guideposts of the Trump administration and top GOP lawmakers’ unified framework (TAXDAY, 2017/09/28, C.1).“Our bill, based on the unified tax reform framework, will give much-needed relief to millions of low-to-middle income families. But, without this budget resolution…we’re unlikely to get there,” Hatch said.By Jessica Jeane, Wolters Kluwer News StaffLogin to read more tax news on CCH® AnswerConnect or CCH® Intelliconnect®.Not a subscriber? Sign up for a free trial or contact us for a representative.