iqpogoyj

Tesla Model 3 aces safety agency’s crash tests

first_imgCreated with Raphaël 2.1.2Created with Raphaël 2.1.2 Tesla Model 3  Tesla COMMENTSSHARE YOUR THOUGHTS See More Videos The Model X and Model S both also earned five stars in all categories. Trending Videos We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles using Facebook commenting Visit our FAQ page for more information. The Rolls-Royce Boat Tail may be the most expensive new car ever Tesla has made controversial assertions about data related to the safety of Autopilot, and both the company and NHTSA have resisted releasing data to back up claims made in the wake of a fatal crash involving a Model X crossover in March. RELATED TAGSTeslaNews PlayThe Rolls-Royce Boat Tail may be the most expensive new car everPlay3 common new car problems (and how to prevent them) | Maintenance Advice | Driving.caPlayFinal 5 Minivan Contenders | Driving.caPlay2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge | Ministry of Interior Affairs | Driving.caPlayThe 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning is a new take on Canada’s fave truck | Driving.caPlayBuying a used Toyota Tundra? Check these 5 things first | Used Truck Advice | Driving.caPlayCanada’s most efficient trucks in 2021 | Driving.caPlay3 ways to make night driving safer and more comfortable | Advice | Driving.caPlayDriving into the Future: Sustainability and Innovation in tomorrow’s cars | Driving.ca virtual panelPlayThese spy shots get us an early glimpse of some future models | Driving.ca Trending in Canada Buy It! Princess Diana’s humble little 1981 Ford Escort is up for auction An engagement gift from Prince Charles, the car is being sold by a Princess Di “superfan” ‹ Previous Next › The results are in, and Tesla’s Model 3 sedan has been awarded five stars in all crash tests conducted by the U.S. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.NHTSA conducts tests to simulate head-on collisions, crashes into side barriers and poles and rollovers, and the Model 3 earned the top rating in every category, according to the agency’s website.The ratings are a relief after months of Tesla crashes making headlines—particularly with incidents involving the company’s driver-assistance system Autopilot. advertisementlast_img read more

kzhtirei

Bar to feel the pinch of the economic downturn

first_img March 1, 2009 Regular News The recession will hit The Florida Bar’s 2008-09 budget, turning an expected balanced fiscal plan into one that will produce a deficit — even though Bar expenditures are running below projections.And the Board of Governors has been warned that the 2009-10 budget will likely be in the red, although with a smaller loss than expected for the current fiscal year. But the red ink is not expected to produce a hike in the Bar’s annual membership fees.The board got that sobering news at its recent meeting in Tallahassee.“As you know, last year we worked very hard to propose a balanced budget for this year,” Budget Committee Chair Gwynne Young told the board. “We are projected now to run a deficit this year, in part because we’ve had a substantial drop off in investment income, and we have had impacts in other areas of the budget. I don’t think it’s anything we can’t handle.”2009-10 Budget Committee Chair Jake Schickel said the board will get next year’s budget for approval at its April 3 meeting in Coral Gables and gave a preliminary report.“There will not be a dues increase; we will not have to worry about that,” Schickel said.He said the Bar is holding down expenses and a smaller deficit is expected than for the current year, but he gave no figures. (Typically, final budget figures are not reached until just before the budget is presented to the board for approval.)Schickel said the budget will address several issues, including increasing money for technology, including the Bar’s Web site, because the Bar is increasingly using technology to reach and provide services for its members.The budget will also address the Bar’s three large annual gatherings (the Program Evaluation Committee is considering whether that should be reduced to two), Bar publications including the continuation of the annual Journal directory issue, the Bar’s Law Office Management Assistance Service, advertising rules (the Supreme Court has asked the Bar for a fresh study on attorney advertising), and the Clients’ Security Fund. (The Bar’s strategic plan noted that CSF is underfunded and is expected to receive an increasing number of claims.)Schickel said the Budget Committee completed a preliminary review of next year’s budget just before the January 30 meeting, and will finish it prior to the April 3 meeting.Investment Committee Chair Ian Comisky reported on Bar investments, which are impacting the budgets. The Bar maintains a conservative investment portfolio with 60 percent in stocks and 40 percent in bonds, he said, and consequently those investments have much less volatility than the overall market.As an example, he noted the Standard and Poors Index of the 500 largest companies was down 35 to 37 percent for 2008, while the Bar’s portfolio was down only 13.61 percent.The Bar’s investment advisors had said this is the second worst investment environment, surpassed only by the Great Depression, Comisky reported, adding, “It’s a unique environment almost since the ’30s. There hasn’t been a safe place to put our funds.”Despite the losses, “There are plenty of liquid assets and plenty of funds in the short-term fund. We don’t have to sell any long-term investments to put money in that,” Comisky said.As for this year, the Bar’s advisors predicted that “this year we’re not going to be in much better shape. We’re going into a deep recession, but they do expect a small investment return for 2009,” he said.The investment committee looked at six different economic scenarios presented by the advisors and “the consensus of the advisors was there is a 60 percent chance of a deep recession” and only a slight chance of milder alternatives, Comisky said. Bar to feel the pinch of the economic downturncenter_img Bar to feel the pinch of the economic downturnlast_img read more

epvydjpu

McCarthy Building Companies Promotes Bryan Kuster

first_imgMcCarthy Building Companies promoted Bryan Kuster to Project Director for the Education Services business unit of the Southwest division.In this position, Kuster will oversee K-12 projects in Arizona and will forge a true collaboration with the owner, design team and subcontractors; serve as a liaison between the office and field teams; champion job-site safety efforts and proactively manage project budgets and schedules. He previously served as project manager.Kuster joined McCarthy in 2005 as a project engineer. He has specialized in education construction and has completed dozens of projects in Arizona and New Mexico over the past decade, including the LEED Silver-certified Sedona Performing Arts Center at Red Rock High School in Sedona, Ariz.“Bryan’s confident management style and ability to foster ideas and concepts from team members will serve him well in this role,” said Justin Kelton, leader of the Education Services team at McCarthy. “His strong project management background and his respect and discipline to McCarthy’s team approach to construction make Bryan a great candidate for this role.”Kuster has a bachelor’s degree in construction management from Arizona StateUniversity. He is also a LEED Accredited Professional and a member of the U.S. Green Building Council.last_img read more

beuvhwmp

New trade offices set up between Donegal’s Gaeltacht and Scotland

first_imgIreland’s Gaeltacht Areas and Scotland have announced the establishment of dedicated reciprocal trade offices to provide business support services to companies and facilitate investment and trade opportunities. It follows a visit by a Scottish trade delegation to the Donegal Gaeltacht this week.Led by West Lothian Chamber of Commerce and facilitated by Scottish Chambers of Commerce (SCC) and Údarás na Gaeltachta, the reciprocal arrangement is the first of its kind for Scotland and the Gaeltacht and will act as a valuable resource for SMEs looking to expand their international B2B partnerships. The Scottish Government’s Minister for Trade, Investment and Innovation, Ivan McKee MSP, made the announcement at a major gathering of Scottish and Irish business leaders.He said “This is an excellent example of private and public sector working together and building meaningful alliances that will make it easier for businesses to build their capacity to trade.“The establishment of reciprocal trade offices demonstrates the commitment of the Scottish and Irish business communities to expand opportunities for trade and investment and foster great collaboration and cooperation.“This is an excellent outcome of the three day Business Trade Visit to the Donegal Gaeltacht that I was very pleased to lead and I look forward to supporting this important alliance.” Commenting on the announcement Irish Government Chief Whip and the Minister of State for the Irish Language, Gaeltacht and the Islands, Seán Kyne, T.D., said this was a major step forward.“This announcement is a significant step for Ireland’s Gaeltacht Areas and highlights the national and international influence of the Gaeltacht region and the opportunities that arise from alliances and through cooperation. I would like to acknowledge the work of my colleague, Joe McHugh, T.D., who established strong links with the business sector in Scotland during a trade mission with Údarás na Gaeltachta and representatives from my Department in July 2018.“The seeds sown on that mission are now showing the first green shoots with today’s announcement. This reciprocal trade office arrangement that is to be established is a vote of confidence for rural Gaeltacht areas which we will continue to support and highlights the benefits that come from providing suitable infrastructure and transport links in rural areas.”Liz Cameron OBE, Director & Chief Executive, of Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said there are immense opportunities between Ireland’s Gaeltacht Areas and Scotland and the establishment of trade offices in our respective areas is a clear indicator of our ambition and commitment to expand our international business relationships.“The ‘business touchpoints’ will connect ambitious businesses looking to expand their customer base and identify new trading partnerships. This alliance further extends the opportunity for Scottish businesses to connect internationally and adds to our existing international touchpoints in China, Canada and Indonesia, clearly demonstrating the effective results for business when private and public sector work in collaboration.” Commenting on the announcement, Micheál Ó hÉanaigh, Chief Executive Office, Údarás na Gaeltachta, said this new alliance facilitated by Údarás na Gaeltachta and Scottish Chambers of Commerce is an important step forward to expand trading opportunities for Irish businesses.“It will also provide Scottish business a significant chance to establish a presence in Ireland and to explore the new markets and opportunities that it provides.“The reciprocal arrangement will also be of significant benefit to Gaeltacht companies to have access to information, support and expertise to build their export base in Scottish markets. We look forward to playing an active role in realising the benefits of this Business to Business alliance and capitalising on the economic opportunities for communities in the Gaeltacht region.“In light of the uncertainties that Brexit is creating for businesses both in Scotland and in Ireland it is hugely encouraging to be able to continue the mutually beneficial partnership that we have forged with the Scottish Chambers of Commerce and the business community in Scotland.” New trade offices set up between Donegal’s Gaeltacht and Scotland was last modified: October 20th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

ulyldtdp

Employee Benefits Go Mainstream

first_imgThere was a time when only HR professionals were concerned about the nuts and bolts of employee benefits such as paid leave, telework and health care. Perhaps a top recruit asked a question or a female worker expecting her first child sought clarification on the Family and Medical Leave Act. Or maybe it was HR’s perennial favorite time of year: open enrollment season. Not any longer. Employee benefits have gone mainstream. Today, companies make news with their latest and greatest perks, ranging from unlimited vacation to free college degrees to, most recently, student loan payments. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg made headlines when he took time off for parenting, and Yahoo’s Marissa Mayer stirred controversy after opting to drop her company’s telework option.Even in the political arena, paid leave has officially become a hot topic. More and more, policies once discussed by HR professionals and managers around conference room tables are now being hashed out in national conversations. That’s why I say we are in the Decade of Human Capital.In the modern workplace, there is greater diversity—age, gender, ethnicity and more. The tenured career is on the decline, and the freelance nation is on the rise. Employees must balance work and personal lives that are more intertwined than ever before. Moreover, advances in technology have given people greater flexibility than they’ve ever had to work when, where and how they choose. According to SHRM research, telecommuting has tripled in the past 20 years. Read this month’s issue of HR Magazine to learn more about why the “so-called” typical worker no longer exists.Know that, as you adjust your company’s benefits offerings, you are doing far more than simply adding new programs. You are shifting the employee-employer relationship to an approach that makes sense for people and organizations in the 21st century workplace.last_img read more

rplnxbfy

England’s Quad Series hopes hanging by a thread after South Africa loss

first_imgShare on Pinterest Share on LinkedIn The Observer England’s hopes of claiming their first Quad Series title appear in tatters after South Africa tore up the script at London’s Copper Box Arena.From the high of a repeat 13-goal drubbing of New Zealand in Liverpool last week to this shock 48-45 loss to outsiders South Africa, England now face the daunting prospect of not only having to defeat Australia on Sunday but needing to do so by at least five goals to have any chance of achieving Quad Series history.South Africa lost the opening match of this tournament 62-45 to Australia. Here they were a different team; all over England from the outset to turn all permutations on their head. The South Africans led by four at half-time and expertly held their composure despite raucous local support.This result leaves Australia, who hung on 53-50 to hand New Zealand successive defeats, in pole position with a 10-goal advantage over England. Perhaps England were guilty of complacency; of glancing ahead to the Australian challenge. England found themselves behind throughout and were frequently rattled.The normally composed shooter Jo Harten (18/22) botched the odd sitter from under the hoop and spilt the ball on another occasion. Jade Clarke had one pass tipped near the death. Others took turns remonstrating with the officials as frustrations bubbled to the surface.The England coach, Tracey Neville, lamented a poor defensive start and squandered possession which allowed South Africa’s confidence to grow, but offered no excuses for her side’s poor performance.“The girls played an outstanding match last Sunday. They’ve had plenty of rest coming into this series. What it shows to them is world-class teams need to constantly keep coming out with stellar performances. We learned a big lesson today but it’s better to learn it now than later,” Neville said. “There were times we could have won that game so I’ve got to look at our own performance.”South Africa had beaten England 13 times previously – the last a three-goal Quad Series win two years ago in New Zealand – but the hosts, now Commonwealth Games champions, were widely expected to comfortably pull away.“You never want to lose but if they can’t pick themselves up for another day tomorrow then they’re not world-class players,” Neville added. “This is a test of character – it’s about mental and physical strength.”Australia are missing star shooter and captain Caitlin Bassett with a broken forearm, and wing defence Gabi Simpson due to a leg injury, yet after two straight wins they are now firm favourites. England will need every soul in what will be a sold-out arena to take the title for the first time.The Australia coach, Lisa Alexander, turned up the heat on England too. “The pressure is right on England,” she said. “They’ve beaten New Zealand by 13 and we’ve beaten them by three so the pressure is on them.”The South African coach and former Australian mentor, Norma Plummer, predicts those in green and gold will emerge victorious. “I reckon the Aussies will take it,” she said. Topics Share on Messenger Share on WhatsApp … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. Whether we are up close or further away, the Guardian brings our readers a global perspective on the most critical issues of our lifetimes – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. We believe complex stories need context in order for us to truly understand them. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Since you’re here…center_img Support The Guardian Share via Email Share on Twitter Share on Facebook match reports Netball Reuse this contentlast_img read more