Cook County Sheriff’s Office(CHICAGO) — A Chicago woman has been charged for attempting to hire someone to murder another woman whom she apparently blamed for the breakup of her previous relationship, prosecutors said.Lissette Ortiz, 54, is facing a felony charge of soliciting murder and, if convicted, she could spend 20 to 40 years behind bars. A judge ordered she be held without bond during her first court appearance Sunday.ABC News has reached out to Ortiz’s public defender for comment.Ortiz allegedly sought to have a woman kidnapped and killed prior to Thanksgiving so that the victim could not celebrate the holiday in the Chicago home that Ortiz once shared with her ex-partner, according to court documents filed Sunday by the Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney’s Office.Last week, Ortiz approached a man identified in court documents only as “witness 2” and offered to hire him, or someone he knew, to abduct the woman then bring the victim to her so that she could “take care of the rest,” prosecutors said.Ortiz, who told the man she planned on fleeing to Puerto Rico after the kidnapping, offered him either $5,000 to abduct the woman or $500 and a television to introduce her to someone who would do the job, according to court documents.The man immediately contacted the Chicago Police Department and alerted them of Ortiz’s plan. He later told Ortiz that he had found a guy to do the job. But unbeknownst to Ortiz, that guy was an undercover cop, prosecutors said. The undercover officer met Ortiz in a parking lot near home in Chicago on the evening of Nov. 20, after she had gotten off work. Ortiz got into his vehicle where they spoke for about an hour and, after asking him for a loaded handgun, she devised a new plan, according to court documents.In an apparent effort to cover her tracks, Ortiz now wanted the officer to kidnap the woman in a car, drive to a remote location and then set the vehicle ablaze with her inside. Ortiz told the officer that “this would be better for her, as she was sure that authorities would be looking for her after the murder, and she wanted to have an alibi,” prosecutors said. But Ortiz made clear that she wanted the target to know she was “responsible for these events prior to the murder,” according to court documents.When the undercover cop asked if the victim should be killed before or after the car was set on fire, Ortiz indicated that she preferred the woman “still be alive at the time of the car fire,” prosecutors said.During the taped conversation with the officer, Ortiz confirmed “multiple times” that she was committed to going through with her plan, and even told the officer that she had already paid someone else in advance to carry out the hit but they had run off with the money, prosecutors said. Ortiz then made plans to meet with the cop on Friday night so that she could give him a portion of the $5,000 fee and show him where the target lived and worked, according to court documents.During Friday’s meeting, Ortiz again reiterated her commitment to the plan and told the undercover officer she was leaving the area until Sunday. She was then taken into custody, prosecutors said.Ortiz also faces an unrelated retail theft charge elsewhere in Cook County. She was previously convicted of theft and forgery and sentenced to two years of probation, according to court documents. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
CBRE has completed the sale of Southgate Mall, a 208,976 SF regional shopping center on the NWC of Fourth Ave. and 32nd St. in Yuma.Bob Young, Glenn Smigiel, Steve Brabant, Rick Abraham and Nancy Romanovsky in CBRE’s Phoenix office, along with local contact Tom Pancrazi of A.T. Pancrazi Real Estate Services in Yuma, represented the seller, MidFirst Bank.The buyer, Southgate Mall LLC, an affiliate of CCA Acquisition Company and Kornwasser Shopping Center Properties, acquired the property for $4.12M.“Southgate Mall was a classic value-add opportunity,” Brabant said. “The property’s location coupled with its large parcel size provides the buyer with a real opportunity to creatively reposition the property. Plus, there is added cash flow potential from adding new tenants and signing existing tenants to longer leases.”Southgate Mall is the only enclosed mall in Yuma and is surrounded on three sides by other retail developments with top brand stores, including Lowe’s Home Improvement, Barnes & Noble and Albertsons.Major tenants at Southgate Mall include Burlington Coat Factory and Big 5 Sporting Goods. Sears and Goodwill are also located at the center but were not part of the sale.Built in 1973 and expanded in 2009-2010, Southgate Mall was 62% occupied at the time of sale.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The 16-year-old Bristol Sport racer claimed the Series with a race to spare – becoming the first Briton since Sir Jackie Stewart in 1967 to win the Grand Prix season finale along the way.After winning the inaugural MSA Formula Championship last season and taking Lewis Hamilton’s accolade as the youngest ever karting world champion the year before, it’s clear to see why Lando is recognized as one of the world’s most exciting young drivers.And the ADD Motorsports-supported racer was justifiably delighted to have added another title to his name after a thrilling weekend’s racing in Manfeild.He said: “It’s been a brilliant experience out here in New Zealand, made all the better by winning the title. I’ve been really consistent and in M2 Competition, have had a great team behind me.“To take the title with a race to spare meant I could relax in the final race Grand Prix and to follow in the footsteps of a legend like Sir Jackie Stewart by winning that is a real honour.“At 40 minutes and 35 laps it was the longest race I’ve ever taken part in, but I really enjoyed it.“To get eight out of 10 poles overall was a great effort in the end. It gives me a lot of confidence going forward.”Lando’s latest success comes hot on the heels of October’s MSA Formula Championship title that he won with a race to spare as well.He also signed-off from his glittering karting career in 2014 as the youngest ever World Championship winner when he took the CIK FIA KF crown, finishing third in the Ginetta Junior Championship and taking the Rookie Cup the same year.He also took the Formula Kart Stars series title in 2012 and won the WSK Euro Series, CIK FIA European Championship and CIK FIA Supercup a year laterIn Manfeild, Lando was second in the first qualifying by three hundredths, but after a few tweaks to the car took the second by one hundredth – setting him up nicely for the rest of the weekend. He got into first from the start in race one and kept his lead after the first safety car. But he lost his position at the restart of the next safety car and after being overtaken dropped into third by the end of the race.The reverse grid of the second race saw Lando start in sixth and after a great start he moved up two places.But saving his new tyres for the final race, he was always at a disadvantage and although had a few attempts at pushing on, had to settle for fourth.However, with the Series title in the bag, he could relax in the final race – the 35-lap Grand Prix.Lando got off to a great start, opening up a nice gap until a safety car on lap seven. But after a good restart he continued where he left off and opened up another gap to then go on to win the race comfortably.Lando became the first Briton since Sir Jackie Stewart in 1967 to win the Grand Prix – when the race was part of the Tasman Series.He brilliantly took the TRS crown by 115 points in the end, with six wins along the way.He added: “It’s a brilliant start to the season and I’ve learnt a lot by taking part in the Series.“After winning the MSA Formula Championship in October and now this so soon after, I can take a lot of confidence going into the Renault and BRDC this season.“Hopefully I can keep what I’m doing and have another great year.”
The Bristol Post highlights the EFL’s decision to close the 2018 summer transfer window on Thursday, August 9th, following the opening game of the 2018/19 season.The Post features comments from Lee Johnson’s pre-match interview with BCTV, where the head coach said Hordur Magnusson could be unavailable for Sunday’s Severnside derby.Sticking with the local paper, Lee Johnson told the Post that he doesn’t believe the atmosphere at Cardiff City to be ‘that intimidating’. City will not receive any more tickets for Sunday’s Sky Bet Championship clash at the Cardiff City Stadium, as the Post reports. The club received a limited allocation of just 1,481 tickets following the South Wales Police request for an extraordinary Safety Advisory Group (SAG) meeting.In his weekly column for the Post, Leroy Rosenior believes Lee Johnson’s side have been the team of the season for far.Cheltenham Town manager Gary Johnson discusses the progression of City loanee Jake Andrews with Gloucestershire Live.Mark Ashton believes the club’s new state-of-the-art training ground would offer long-term sustainable success in BS3, as the Post highlights.After Tuesday night’s encounter with Fulham, Lee Johnson hailed Ryan Sessegnon has an ‘unbelievable talent’, as the Post writes.
The Proteas made all kinds of unwanted history in suffering a 3-0 Test series whitewash against India.Tuesday’s loss by an innings and 202 runs in Ranchi is the first time South Africa have suffered successive innings defeats (they lost by an innings and 137 runs in Pune last week) since 1935/36.More pertinently, the current squad will return home battered, riddled with doubts over their abilities in overseas conditions, as well as the competitiveness of local cricket in general.Skipper Faf du Plessis is under no illusion of the challenges South African cricket is facing.Here are the five biggest themes to emerge from his media conference following the Ranchi drubbing.He’s not going to quit international cricketHow I see my journey unfolding with this team is to help with the transition period. That’s something we spoke about before that wasn’t necessarily the case before. Graeme Smith was a successful captain for a very long time and then after that, it was like, ‘what now, who is going to captain the side, what’s going to happen?’ This period is to try and make that process a bit smoother, identifying the next leaders, identifying the next captains, working with them, and then when that time is right, that time will be right.Brexit can’t come quick enough to stem the Kolpak crisisIt’s sad for South African cricket not having the option of picking some of its best players. (Off-spinner) Simon Harmer has had an unbelievable season (for Essex). It would’ve been great to say ‘He’s done well overseas, let’s bring him with us on tour’. Maybe it will be better with Brexit. Players will probably still go play in England as overseas players, but at least you can play for your country still. (Under Kolpak conditions, a player isn’t allowed to play international cricket)At the moment, we don’t get the option of picking all of the best players. Even post-international cricketers like Hashim Amla and Morne Morkel won’t be playing domestically anymore, so you lose all of that experience. The young guys miss out on that. Playing alongside Hashim is arguably one of the greatest learning curves any rookie could experience. We need to bridge the gap. South African bowlers aren’t adapting to Indian conditionsWhen we play in the subcontinent, our style of bowling is not successful. You have to adapt your style to the style that is required. Obviously, someone like Dale Steyn was effective in the subcontinent because he has a similar skill set. He is a skiddy bowler off the pitch, hits the stumps, whereas if you are missing the stumps a lot or bouncing it over the stumps, it’s not as effective here.The Proteas desperately need to find mental toughnessIndia’s exceptional ruthlessness was one of the reasons why mentally we were so weak towards the end. Obviously, they did bat first every time, which made it easier but they still to put on 500, 500, 600 and the scoreboard pressure, the effect that it has on you mentally as a batting line-up, it takes a lot of energy and it takes a lot of toll. You just feel like there’s no opportunity or no moment in the game when you can hide. Your body is tired, your mind is tired and then you make mistakes.Our next journey is to try and make sure we get a lot stronger as a cricketing team mentally. As you can see, a tour like this reveals that there is a lot of mental scars that can happen and then obviously it’s difficult to come out of the hole. We played our best match in the first match and the consistent pressure that was on us made us weaker with every Test match that we played. It tells me we are not mentally strong as a team and that some work is required in that department.This rebuilding phase might take longer than expectedWhen you go through extreme hardships like this, in the hardships, you will still find guys that are up for Test cricket. You look for personalities within the team who you see in three, four, five or six years to come and then the process starts. In a perfect world you would start the process somewhere in the middle by changing one or two players and the period is shorter, but the position we find ourselves in now with a lot of experience out of the Test team, that process will probably take longer.For more sport your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.
Hugh speaks with former Crystal Palace and Republic of Ireland striker Clinton Morrison, and he’s got the crowd favourite, Goal or Troll.