SAN DIEGO – Mired in a miserable slump, Hunter Mahan preaches the “process.” He said it nine times during a seven-minute interview Friday at Torrey Pines. Some processes take longer than others, which is why Mahan, who once climbed as high as No. 4 in the world, has missed 12 of his last 13 cuts and plummeted all the way to No. 451. It’s a stunning decline for a player who ascended from top junior to elite college player to standout Tour performer with ease. “Since I was 12 years old, my career, the way I’ve played has always gone up,” he said. “I’ve had very little decline in my game. This is different. This is a new situation I feel myself in. I have to get back to a process every shot and how I’m going to do things.” That process included a few shakeups. Off the course, Mahan and wife Kandi have three children under the age of 4. On the course, Mahan parted ways with longtime caddie John Wood. And he changed swing coaches, transitioning last fall from Sean Foley to Chris O’Connell, who also teaches Matt Kuchar. Mahan credited O’Connell with giving him a “system and program” for how to approach each day, each tournament, each year. Farmers Insurance Open: Articles, photos and videos The returns have been slow. Entering this week’s Farmers Insurance Open, Mahan had missed seven consecutive cuts. Only a tie for 70th at the Travelers snapped a prior run of five missed cuts in a row. He didn’t finish better than 43rd all year. A winner most recently at the 2014 Barclays, Mahan’s 2015 season ended a streak of at least $2.9 million in earnings. (He has banked nearly $30 million in his career.) This year, he isn’t eligible for any of the four majors. Mahan says he can light it up in practice at home, going weeks without shooting over par. But his iron play – what used to be a strength – has let him down in recent years. He has ranked outside the top 140 in strokes gained-approach to the green each of the past three years. “You can hit balls all you want,” he said, “but unless you’re in competition, it’s a completely different animal.” Mahan finally saw glimmers of hope last week, breaking par all three rounds in the CareerBuilder Challenge. This week at Torrey Pines, he has shot rounds of 71-70, sitting just five shots off the lead, his best position in more than a year. “I’m kind of learning what pressure feels like and playing a good round and wanting to finish it off right,” he said. “It was good to put all that practice into use.”
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMore Oxfam has launched several cash-for-work projects, which give those living in camps a chance to earn an income while improving their environment by building latrines and clearing rubble. Cash in hand helps earthquake survivors stay in the driver’s seat in their own recovery – able to purchase what they most want and need, such as the food that is now available on the streets of Port-au-Prince. Those purchases in turn support local suppliers and begin to bring Haiti’s economy back to life. See the cash-for-work program photos in this slideshow. An assessment of market conditions in Port-au-Prince showed there is sufficient food, but people do not have the money to purchase it. Oxfam has tested “cash for work” in crises around the world and found it to be more effective than food distribution as long as sufficient food is available on the market. It also helps restores dignity in difficult circumstances. This “cash-for-work” effort is set to expand across nine sites where Oxfam has recently installed clean water and latrines, serving 80,000 people. Read more about what OXFAM is doing to aid in the relief of Haiti on their website. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMore
From the Office of the State Auditor:SANTA FE – The Office of the State Auditor (OSA) will hold a public hearing to revise the Audit Rule. The audit rule is prepared annually to outline audit requirements designed to protect taxpayer dollars in our communities. The OSA will carefully consider all public comments offered during the hearing as part of the rulemaking process.WHAT: Public hearing on the 2020 Audit RuleWHO: State Auditor Brian S. Colón, Deputy State Auditor Natalie Cordova, and Staff of OSA WHEN: Monday, February 17, 2020 at 1:30pm WHERE: The Office of the State Auditor, 2540 Camino Edward Ortiz, Suite A, Santa Fe, NM 87507Find the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking here. The hearing is open to the public.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionWork together to fight climate changeI write to support the city of Schenectady joining the Capital District MEGA Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) and urge Mayor Gary McCarthy to act boldly and decisively to be one of the first large municipalities to support this important initiative.Let’s build upon the City Council’s recent passage of enabling legislation and join our neighbors from 10 other local, greater Capital Region communities to form an aggregate market that can promote an effective demand for clean, affordable energy.We all know that working together we are more likely to realize the economic benefits of a partnership with the MEGA administrator, the organization that works with other CCAs and has a proven track record of securing volume discounts for members interested in promoting clean, non-fossil fuel generated energy.But for me, the most critical element of this partnership effort is to make a regionwide, collective impact on reducing our use of fossil fuels, fuels that are responsible for global warming.As a 30-year Schenectady resident and grandfather to two beautiful children, I am deeply concerned that we do whatever it takes to mitigate the worst aspects of climate change, to be effective stewards and ensure that all future generations can prosper on this planet. To me, it is our moral imperative to aggressively confront this challenge, and I invite all my fellow Schenectadians (and beyond) to join me.Michael Tracy-IrelandSchenectadyUrge vote against new trade proposalThe Aug. 8 edition of Politico’s Morning Trade cited a study by two faculty members of the University of Ottawa law school, in such they posed the question: How much of the Trans-Pacific-Partnership (TPP) trade agreement is also found in the 34 chapters of the United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA)?The Canadian researchers found that 57 percent of the stipulations in the TPP trade agreement are also contained in the 34 chapters of the proposed USMCA.President Trump opposed the TPP during his 2016 campaign, and three days after taking office he pulled the United States out of the TPP. I wonder how the president can now support the USMCA, when just a short time ago he was opposed to 57 percent of its content.Could it be because the U.S. trade negotiating team was led by Robert Lighthizer, a veteran member of the Council on Foreign Relations and that the unfavorable portions of the TPP agreement are hidden in the 1,800 pages of the proposed agreement.Please email the president, your two senators and your congressional representative opposing passage of USMCA.George Van SchaickSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Make a game plan for voting. Do it now.EDITORIAL: Take a role in police reformsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: No chickens in city without strong regsHIGH NOTES: PPEs, fighting hunger, backpacks and supplies for kids
The 16-year-old Bristol Sport racer claimed the Series with a race to spare – becoming the first Briton since Sir Jackie Stewart in 1967 to win the Grand Prix season finale along the way.After winning the inaugural MSA Formula Championship last season and taking Lewis Hamilton’s accolade as the youngest ever karting world champion the year before, it’s clear to see why Lando is recognized as one of the world’s most exciting young drivers.And the ADD Motorsports-supported racer was justifiably delighted to have added another title to his name after a thrilling weekend’s racing in Manfeild.He said: “It’s been a brilliant experience out here in New Zealand, made all the better by winning the title. I’ve been really consistent and in M2 Competition, have had a great team behind me.“To take the title with a race to spare meant I could relax in the final race Grand Prix and to follow in the footsteps of a legend like Sir Jackie Stewart by winning that is a real honour.“At 40 minutes and 35 laps it was the longest race I’ve ever taken part in, but I really enjoyed it.“To get eight out of 10 poles overall was a great effort in the end. It gives me a lot of confidence going forward.”Lando’s latest success comes hot on the heels of October’s MSA Formula Championship title that he won with a race to spare as well.He also signed-off from his glittering karting career in 2014 as the youngest ever World Championship winner when he took the CIK FIA KF crown, finishing third in the Ginetta Junior Championship and taking the Rookie Cup the same year.He also took the Formula Kart Stars series title in 2012 and won the WSK Euro Series, CIK FIA European Championship and CIK FIA Supercup a year laterIn Manfeild, Lando was second in the first qualifying by three hundredths, but after a few tweaks to the car took the second by one hundredth – setting him up nicely for the rest of the weekend. He got into first from the start in race one and kept his lead after the first safety car. But he lost his position at the restart of the next safety car and after being overtaken dropped into third by the end of the race.The reverse grid of the second race saw Lando start in sixth and after a great start he moved up two places.But saving his new tyres for the final race, he was always at a disadvantage and although had a few attempts at pushing on, had to settle for fourth.However, with the Series title in the bag, he could relax in the final race – the 35-lap Grand Prix.Lando got off to a great start, opening up a nice gap until a safety car on lap seven. But after a good restart he continued where he left off and opened up another gap to then go on to win the race comfortably.Lando became the first Briton since Sir Jackie Stewart in 1967 to win the Grand Prix – when the race was part of the Tasman Series.He brilliantly took the TRS crown by 115 points in the end, with six wins along the way.He added: “It’s a brilliant start to the season and I’ve learnt a lot by taking part in the Series.“After winning the MSA Formula Championship in October and now this so soon after, I can take a lot of confidence going into the Renault and BRDC this season.“Hopefully I can keep what I’m doing and have another great year.”
4′ Tournament: A group Stadium: Audience: 4641′ BEGINNING OF THE MATCH!Composition 29. Daniel Naumov 14. Dimitar Savov 21. Ventsislav Vassilev 3. Dimitar Pirgov 30. Dimo Atanasov 26. Serkan Ussein 10. Vasil Shopov 33. Galin Ivanov 11. Denislav Alexandrov 17. Daniel Mladenov 9. Martin Kamburov – captainCoach Krassimir Balakov Nikolai KirovReserves 1 Dimitar Todorov 70. Georgi Rusev 87. Simeon Petrov 8. Ivailo Klimentov 20. Angel Bastunov 91. Tsvetomir Todorov The match between FC CSKA 1948 and Arda (Kardzhali) will end the third round in the First League. The match starts at 21:00 and will be played at the national stadium.Both teams started the season with two draws and can no longer wait to record their first success. The newcomers from the capital made 2: 2 with CSKA, and then stole a point during their visit to Beroe. Arda missed a lead of two goals against Montana and finally dramatically reached 3: 3, and a week ago beat Levski, but the match ended 1: 1.The mentor of the hosts Krassimir Balakov has no serious personnel problems. Last season’s goal scorer Andon Gushterov is still injured, but the team has the ageless Martin Kamburov in attack.Radoslav Vassilev and Milen Zhelev are in question for Arda. The two did not appear in a game against Levski and are more likely to miss today’s match. However, the former national Mikhail Alexandrov returned to the field after a long absence and will play again today.The curious thing is that Arda is the only team from the current composition of our elite division, against which Martin Kamburov did not sign. Last season he missed a penalty against this rival with the team of Beroe.Central defender Ventsislav Vassilev will face his former team. In 2019 he played only 2 matches for the team from Kardzhali, after which he signed with FC CSKA 1948.Spas Delev will try to break his goal drought, which has been going on for almost a year. He scored for the last time on August 30 last year in the success of Arda with 3: 2 against Slavia in Sofia.
…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
By Aneeka Simonis OVER 30 reports of defenceless animals being beaten or wounded in Cardinia Shire were received by the…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.
Robson Cramer, as he has done all season, was the big winner during Sunday’s Nelson Leafs Award’s Banquet at the Hume Hotel.The skillful defenceman won a handful of awards at the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League franchise concluded the 2014-15 campaign with the annual award ceremony.Nelson was eliminated from the playoffs by defending KIJHL champion Beaver Valley Nitehhawks Thursday.The Hawks won the best-of-seven Murdoch Semi Final series 4-1.Cramer, a double league award winner as top defenceman in the Murdoch Division and KIJHL, won Nelson’s Top Defenceman and regular season Team MVP.Cramer, who is off to Simon Fraser of the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League next season, also was the top scorer during the regular season for Nelson.Right behind Cramer on trips to the podium was rugged defenceman Darnel St. Pierre. St. Pierre won the Coaches’ Award and Most Spirited Player honour.It was announced that St. Pierre is off to join Cramer at SFU next season after agreeing to a commitment letter.Rookie forward Sam Webber won the Most Popular Player award while Dylan Williamson was named top rookie and Playoff MVP was forward Rayce Miller.The player award for dedication of hockey and academics was Brenden Chow while Leaf captain Aaron Dunlap was named Unsung Hero for the team.Most Sportsmanlike Player and Most Improved Player went to forward Timothy Nichols.The banquet concludes what has been a rollercoaster ride for the Green and White this season.However, instead of dwelling on the negative, head coach Dave McLellan already is starting to put the pieces together for the 2015-16 campaign as Nelson hosts its rookie camp April 24-26 at the NDCC Arena.The Main Camp is scheduled to follow May 15-17, also at the NDCC Arena.For more information contact McLellan at [email protected] or 250-352-1903.
CESAR AZPILICUETA says Chelsea are out for revenge against Spurs after last month’s “unacceptable” defeat at Wembley.Maurizio Sarri’s men saw their unbeaten start to the season go up in smoke at the Home of Football in November at the hands of Spurs.5 Cesar Azpilicueta is out for revenge against TottenhamCredit: GettyThe final score was 3-1 but it could have been double that as Tottenham ran riot.Now Azpilicueta and Co have the chance to make up for it when they take of their capital rivals in the Carabao Cup semi-finals over two legs next month.The Spaniard said: “That game from the first minute to the last we were really bad. They were better than us. We cannot let this happen again. We have to improve.“After that game we understood what we can improve on and obviously when the game gets closer, we will study them more and try to get better because the game we played that day was not acceptable.5 Chelsea’s undefeated start to the campaign was ended last month by SpursCredit: Reuters5 The Blues sealed a Carabao Cup semi-final showdown with their rivals on Wednesday by defeating BournemouthCredit: AP:Associated Press“I have been here a long time and had very good moments and some tough ones. But the way that game went was a bad experience.“We were undefeated going into that game and to lose the way we did was tough. But it happened, the only thing we can do is turn it around and we have a good chance. We will try to do it.”POCHETTI-NO! Tottenham ban press from asking Mauricio Pochettino about Manchester UnitedAzpilicueta has been at Chelsea since 2012 but the team is still only five months into Sarri’s reign.That is in stark contrast to the four years Mauricio Pochettino has been at Tottenham.LATEST CHELSEA NEWSmighty fine brosRyan Thomas gets parking ticket on £285k Rolls Royce as bros ride bikesExclusiveRETURN TRIPRyan, Adam and Scott Thomas handed second series of their ITV travel seriesteetotalLove Island’s Scott Thomas reveals he nearly lost his business over love of boozeTHOMAS AND TEDDYAdam Thomas and son Teddy model new George at Asda range for Father’s Day’lockdown baby’Holly Willoughby praises Ryan Thomas’ ‘sweet’ eight-week-old baby RomanFAMILY TIESAdam Thomas confronts absent dad in new doc with brothers Ryan and ScottBut Azpilicueta insists the fact Spurs are further along in their development under their manager is no excuse when it comes to a London derby.The former Marseille man said: “They have been working together for a long time, but when you go on to the pitch in a derby, there are a lot of things that don’t matter, like how long or not you have been playing with the manager.“In a derby like this there a lot of things. In the last derby we didn’t play the way we normally do and we have to learn from it.”Chelsea set up the two-legged semi-final against Spurs, to be played on January 8 and 22, after sub Eden Hazard’s late strike saw off Bournemouth.Ruben Loftus-Cheek impressed in a more advanced role playing as a wide forward and Azpilicueta reckons the England star has improved significantly.5 Ruben Loftus-Cheek helped Chelsea to overcome Bournemouth in the quarter-final on WednesdayCredit: Getty Images5 The England midfielder has come back from his Palace loan spell a much better player, according to his Spanish team-mateCredit: ReutersThe 29-year-old said: “He came back to pre-season training from his holidays following the World Cup before he was supposed to.“He didn’t play much and he wanted to get in the team really quick. Obviously he took a bit of time to adapt to a new position, last season he played at Crystal Palace in a different role.“But he has adapted really well, now he is playing sometimes as a winger. His game is improving every day and I’m really pleased for him.“He has been with us for quite a long time and now he is getting more of a chance. He is showing his quality and how important he can be. We have seen a better Ruben and hopefully he can keep going.”It’s match week 18 of the Premier League as Chelsea greet Leicester City and Cardiff welcomes Manchester United